I haven’t been doing a good job of updating this site, and a full refresh is in development, but I wanted to pin some recent work at the top. Below is some info on recent work on the Canadian election monitoring project, on platform governance, and a range of writing, talks and media on both.
The Digital Democracy Project
This is a joint initiative led by the Max Bell School of Public Policy at McGill University and the Public Policy Forum. We are currently doing a large scale monitoring project of the Canadian election.
The project has two components. An online monitoring effort that is collecting and analyzing social and traditional media data, being led by Derek Ruths at McGill, and a survey effort that is doing weekly national surveys and a metered online consumption study being led by Peter Loewen at the University of Toronto. Together we are seeing to track the online media ecosystem during the election and to assess behaviour change based on exposure. We are both publishing weekly reports, and will be producing an extensive post election report. We have released three reports to date, which can be found here:
- Report 1: Media, Knowledge and Misinformation
- Report 2: The Climate Change Conundrum
- Report 3: Polarization and its Discontents
I am also the Co-PI of the Digital Election Research Challenge, with Elizabeth Dubois, which is funding 18 research teams to study the online ecosystem during the Canadian election. Further details of this collaboration can be found here.
Finally, I am involved in the production of an election podcast called Attention Control.The show is hosted by Kevin Newman and produced by Antica. I do weekly segments on the show, our research is integrated into the podcast, and a detailed interview about the project can be found in the second half of this episode (starts at: 21:28).
- Front Burner podcast interview on Christchurch Call
- CBC The National feature report on Election Integrity
- The National feature story on Digital Democracy Project
- Attention Control podcast interview about Digital Democracy Project.Interview about project (starts at: 21:28)
- CBC The House interview about Digital Democracy Project
- National Observer talk about election interference
- Global National news segment on regulation social media
- CPAC interview about Christchurch call
- CBC The Current interview about election interference: How safe are Canada’s elections from fake news on Facebook?
- Who will answer the Christchurch Call? Nobody, if tech platforms continue ungoverned, The Globe and Mail
- Big Tech’s net loss: How governments can turn anger into action, The Globe and Mail
- The era of Big Tech self-governance has come to an end, The Globe and Mail
- We can save democracy from destructive digital threats, The Globe and Mail
- The new rules for the internet – and why deleting Facebook isn’t enough, The Globe and Mail
- Democracy Divided: Countering Disinformation and Hate in the Digital Public Sphere, PPF.
- Ungoverned Space: How Surveillance Capitalism and AI Undermine Democracy, CIGI
- Testimony at the International Grand Committee
- Humber College President’s Lecture: Why is Everyone Mad at Tech…and what to do about it.
- Salon Speaker Series Talk: Why FakeNews Matters.
- CIVIX Video: Behind the screens: Who Decodes what I view online
- Dalton Camp Lecture (CBC Ideas): How Internet Monopolies Threaten Democracy
- CIGI Video: Ungoverned Space: How Surveillance Capitalism and AI Undermine Democracy.