Below is the video of a talk I gave recently at a Canada2020 conference in Ottawa, titled “Fake News and the Crisis of Information” followed by a panel I was on with David Frum, Anand Giridharadas, Liz Plank, Susan Delacourt and Evan Solomon.
Related, here is a recent radio interview on misinformation and the looming challenge of fake video and audio on Roundhouse Radio, and here are a few recent articles that touch on similar issues:
- Is Facebook a threat to democracy?, The Globe and Mail
- Ethics and governance are getting lost in the AI frenzy, The Globe and Mail
- ‘Fake news 2.0’: A threat to Canada’s democracy, The Globe and Mail
- Can Journalism be Virtual, Columbia Journalism Review
- The Platform Press: How Silicon Valley Reengineered Journalism, Columbia Journalism Review
- Interview on NPR’s 1A on Silicon Valley and Journalism, Part 1 and Part 2 (responding after the interview with Facebook’s Campbell Brown).
- How Internet Monopolies Threaten Democracy (The 2017 Dalton Camp Lecture, broadcast on CBC Ideas)
- Ungoverned Spaces: #Fakenews, The Rise of Algorithms, and the Next Big Challenge for Democracy, GIGI Global Forum Lecture